Eye strain technically called ASTHENOPIA is a condition that occurs when the eyes get tired from intense use in the office, driving a car for extended periods, reading, or working at the computer. Generally, any eye discomfort that occurs as a result of staring or looking at something for a long time is called Eye Strain.
Eye strains occur in all kinds of situations but it is almost epidemic in offices. It is a well-known fact that sitting at a desk doing one task for several minutes without stopping constricts the mind as well as the eyes. When the eyes are irritated, so is the brain. The whole head and neck are involved in keeping the eye focused on a specific spot. Try, for instance, following a bouncing tennis ball without moving your neck and head, it is very difficult. The eyes, head, and the neck work as team. Head and neck movements are naturally integrated with the eye movements. Keeping the eyes, head, and neck still (especially while working at a computer) tenses the head and neck muscles and can cause headaches.
The eyes, head and neck are all involved in the process of eye strain and here are some factors that may cause you to experience eye strain.
Causes of eye strains
The following are some of the numerous causes of eye strains:
1. Insufficiency or excessive bright lighting
2. Exposure to smoke
3. Starring at a computer screen for too long with insufficient blinking
4. Reading or doing close work for long periods without stopping
5. Emotional stress (which could lead to eye muscle strain and poor attention)
6. Incorrect glasses prescription
Is it possible to prevent eye strain?
Yes, you have to observe and figure out that task that causes eye strain,then modify it or find a better way to carry out the task and this will reduce or eliminate the eye strain you experience.
Here is our recommendation on how to relief eye strains
1. First, bathe your eyes, using cool water, to energize them.
2. Then just look around the outskirts of the room you are, in a panoramic circle.
3. Close your eyes gently and concentrate on breathing.
4. Warm your hands by rubbing them together for about twenty seconds.
5. Place a hand over each eye with a cupped palm so that the fingertips are on the forehead and the base of the palm is on your cheekbones, not actually touching your eye.
6. Look into the darkness with your eyes closed
7. You may even see some shimmering light. Continue to look at the darkness concentrating on taking deep breaths, relax your mind and, along with it, your eyes.
So when you are experiencing an eye strain, you don’t have to panic, just relax and follow this recommended eye strain relief process
Supreme Vision Cares
Supreme Vision Clinic,
Your Vision, Our Vision.
♦ 2, Bouar Close, Off Bangui Street, Off Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent Wuse 2, Abuja.
♦ Mobiles : +234 808 586 1111 , +234 803 314 6169.