Have you heard of Presbyopia? Are you above forty years? Are you experiencing reading difficult? Now this article might benefit you.
Presbyopia is simply loss of power of the eye to focus. This occur in many people as from 40 years and above. In simple terms, Presbyopia means old age sight or old sight.
As we continue to age, A person without refractive error will begin to notice inability to read small print or discriminate fine objects at about 40 – 45 years of age. This is compounded under dim light or by eye fatigue. This problem increases as one continues to grow older especially between the age of 40 and 55 years. And this implies you need a visual aid, usually a glasses to read tiny prints clearly with less stress..
Presbyopia typically begins between the ages of 40 and 45, although we have early presbyopia and late presbyopia. The early presbyopia sets in at about the age of 37 to 39 years while late presbyopia sets in about the age of 45 to 48 years. During the intervening 10 – 15 yrs period, the patient may require fairly frequent lens changes, and this is a more reason why you should get your eyes examined at least once a year, the reason is because it is expected for a Presbyopia to increase every two to three years. After a patient has worn reading glasses for a year or two, the patient may return with the complaint that the lenses that were originally suitable for near work are no longer effective. This requires an update of such glasses.
Please note that the occurrence of Presbyopia is a universal phenomenon just as certain to occur as “death and taxes”
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS YOU WILL NOTICE IF YOU HAVE PRESBYOPIA?
- You will need to stretch your hand or push prints far away from you before you can read.
- You will experience intermittent blur vision if you attempt to read for long. (fatigue).
- The eyes bring out tears sometimes, after reading for a while.
- You can experience heaviness in your eyes.
- You will have difficulty reading under normal light. You may now require very bright light to read.
- You will have feeling of sleepiness when reading.
ANY SOLUTION TO PRESBYOPIA?
Of course there is!
Presbyopia is corrected by use of a plus lens to make up for lost automatic focusing power of the lens. The need for reading glasses or bifocal lenses or progressive lenses varies greatly from one person to another.
FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PRESBYOPIA.
- Presbyopia is not a disease, but a fact of life for which the optical industry has provided many options. So make use of the opportunity.
- Presbyopia is not losing your sight but an aging process. So do not despair.
- No drugs solution for Presbyopia. It only requires reading glasses. So do not waste money
- Presbyopia becomes worse as aging continues. So be prepared.
- Food, fruits or vitamins (supplement) cannot stop or reverse Presbyopia. So do not waste your resources.
- Eye aerobics or exercises cannot reverse or stop Presbyopia. So do not waste your energy.
Now that we have had a walk through what Presbyopia is, you don’t need to have a bad feeling about it once you get older. But if you are experiencing likely symptoms already, All you need is to consult your eye doctor immediately for a solution. Also regular routine eye test is important once you are above forty years. There are other degenerative changes in the eye that are dangerous. Only routine eye test can uncover them.
Supreme Vision Cares.
Supreme Vision Eye Clinic,
Your Vision, Our Vision
♦ 2, Bouar Close, Off Bangui Street, Off Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent Wuse 2, Abuja.
♦ Mobiles : +234 808 586 1111 , +234 803 314 6169.